Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passports and Citizenship

We welcome American residents in Ontario to seek passports and register with us. Please see Passport Services and Information for general information before proceeding. Apply in person, by appointment only. Book an appointment when you have assembled all the following, required documents. Applicants who come to the Consulate without the required documents or without an appointment will be turned away. Entry for all American Citizen Services is at 225 Simcoe Street, NOT 360 University Avenue. Please review the Consulate's security procedures before coming, noting that cell phones are prohibited.

Please bring to your appointment the following:

  • Completed DS-11 or DS-82 application form. Please see the Passport Wizard to determine the proper form you need, fill it out, and print it. If the applicant was born outside the U.S. and is now seeking U.S. citizenship through a biological parent (or parents), please review our Births Abroad page before booking a birth abroad appointment. If you appear at the Consulate without a passport appointment, you will be turned away.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship: old U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, U.S. naturalization/citizenship certificate or consular report of birth abroad (FS-240). Civil records must bear the original seal, stamp or signature of the official government custodian of that record. Each U.S. state and territory keeps its own official birth and other civil records. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services maintains records of all certificates of naturalization and citizenship; the U.S. Department of State maintains records of all consular reports of birth abroad. "Certified true copies," hospital or religious records, notarized, mutilated, or illegible copies are unacceptable.
  • Current ID containing personal data and photo.
  • Passport application fee payable by cash (US dollars or the equivalent in Canadian dollars), US dollar bank or postal money order (NO personal checks), or credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).
  • One front view 2"x2" color photo on a white background taken within the past 6 months.
  • Prepaid, self-addressed Canada Post Xpresspost envelope with “signature sticker.” Please DO NOT purchase the “Pack” size envelope; the "Standard" size envelope can hold up to four passports. Only one envelope per family or group is required. Put your information in both the "To" and "From" sections. We can only return issued passports by mail to a Canadian address. If the mailing address is within Ontario, please purchase the Xpresspost "Regional" envelope.
  • If the applicant is under age 16:
    • The applicant, regardless of age, must come to the appointment.
    • Appearance or notarized consent of both parents (If overseas, the non-applying parent must proceed to the closest US Embassy or Consulate to have their consent notarized by an American consular official);
    • Birth certificate with the original seal, stamp or signature of the official government custodian of that record showing parents' names or other evidence of parents' relationship to the applicant; and
    • Current ID of both parents containing personal data and photo.

It takes at least 2-3 weeks to get a passport here, so please apply well in advance of your intended travel. Note that many countries require a passport valid for 6 months for entry. There is no expedited processing for a higher fee as is offered to passport applicants inside the U.S.

Lost or stolen passports: The loss or theft of a passport does not waive any requirements. We accept emergency passport applications by appointment. If an appointment is not available prior to your departure and you have an urgent need to travel, you may send an e-mail to to request an earlier appointment. Before you come here, please get a copy of the police report of loss or theft and fill out the Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport (DS-64) and bring them to your appointment, along with a completed DS-11 and all of the other items listed above. Except for dire emergencies, it takes a minimum of 10 working days to obtain a replacement U.S. passport in Toronto. Lost or stolen passports are invalid for further travel; if recovered do not use them.

Passport card: American citizens and nationals may apply for a passport card in lieu of the traditional passport book for land and water travel between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. Air travel, and travel to other destinations, still requires a passport book. The advantages of a passport card are its convenient wallet size and lower cost. Application procedures and forms are the same for the passport card and passport book, except that no Xpresspost envelope is necessary for applicants who only apply for the passport card. The passport card will come in its own envelope from the U.S. via regular mail.

Passport renewal by mail: This option is available to American citizens living in Canada, if your previous U.S. passport was issued less than 15 years ago, when you were over 16 and you have it in hand, by using the DS-82 application form. Please read and follow these instructions for American citizens living in Canada. During busy periods it can take 10 to 12 weeks to renew a passport by mail. Applicants can check the status of their application or email the National Passport Information Center directly (note that the toll-free number does not work from Canada). Alternatively, if you live close to the U.S. border and are properly documented to cross the border as a U.S. citizen, you may go to renew your U.S. passport inside the U.S.

Amendments: Instead of amending currently valid passports, applicants must seek replacement passports.

Extra passport pages: US $82, as long the passport is valid and legible. Make an appointment to submit in person or simply mail to us the following:

  • Passport needing extra pages.
  • Signed and completed Application for Additional Passport Pages (DS-4085).
  • Fee of US $82, by bank or postal money order in U.S. dollars only, made payable to U.S. Consulate General Toronto. Personal checks are not accepted.
  • Prepaid, self-addressed Canada Post Xpresspost envelope. Please DO NOT purchase the "Pack" size envelope; the "Standard" size envelope can hold up to four passports. Put your information in both the "To" and "From" sections.

Dual Nationality: U.S. law does not prohibit dual nationality, but an American may jeopardize his/her U.S. citizenship by performing an expatriating act. A U.S. citizen who naturalizes as a Canadian citizen may generally retain U.S. citizenship. Determination of dual nationality can only be made by applying for a U.S. passport or registration, not by phone or mail.

Renunciation: Please send an e-mail to for information and procedures on how to renounce or relinquish citizenship.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): Please enter information about your stay here in Canada at this website. By enrolling in STEP, we can better assist you in an emergency and keep you informed of news related to travel anywhere overseas.