Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Frequently asked questions

Passport and Citizenship FAQs

Information of general interest since we do not have the resources to answer such questions individually.

Please see details on official U.S. government websites:

For an official determination of your situation, please make an appointment, prepare your documents and submit an official application, for which you will be charged statutory fees, well in advance of your desired travel.

The applicant bears full and sole responsibility for his/her application and any desired benefit.

How much does it cost for a passport (DS11 or DS82), report of birth (FS240) or notarial?

Please visit the Department of State Travel website for information on passport fees. All consular fees are set by law, worldwide, in US dollars (USD). Payment is accepted in USD or Canadian dollars cash (at a fluctuating exchange rate), USD money order or Visa/MasterCard if in person, or in a USD money order payable to "U.S. Consulate General Toronto" if by mail. No personal checks are allowed.

Can I pick up my completed passport?

No. In order to reduce the number of visitors in our cramped facility we deliver all passports and reports of birth by mail. Applicants should bring a prepaid, self-addressed Canada Post Xpresspost envelope with them and put their information in both the "To" and "From" sections.

I am a dual U.S. and Canadian citizen and I don't have time to get a U.S. passport. May I enter the U.S. with my travel document showing my Canadian (or other) citizenship?

No, U.S. law requires U.S. citizens to enter and depart the U.S. documented as U.S. citizens. Improperly documented U.S. citizens may be barred or delayed considerably at a port of entry.

Another question on dual nationality: Is it okay to travel outside of the U.S. on my other passport?

While the U.S. does not prohibit dual nationality, Americans must comply with U.S. laws (e.g. federal and state taxes, selective service, and foreign assets control) regardless of their location. Thus, a dual citizen who travels to Cuba on a Canadian or other passport, may violate U.S. law and be subject to criminal or civil penalties.

When must I have a passport to enter the U.S.?

Now. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires all travelers, U.S. citizens and others, to hold a valid passport or other approved travel document for air, land and water entry. Please visit the WHTI website for details.

How do I contact you? I would like to speak with someone over the phone.

Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to offer comprehensive telephone information. Our switchboard operator has no passport, consular or visa information. Please start your information search at the Toronto Consulate website or at the Department of State travel website.

After you have comprehensively reviewed the websites, you may send an e-mail for questions on U.S. passports and citizenship matters to We will respond within two business days if the information is not available on our website. To only report the death, arrest, or serious injury of a U.S. citizen, call 416-595-6506 during workdays, 830am-5pm, or 416-201-4100 at other times. General and/or visa information is NOT available at this number.

I lost my U.S. passport and I need to travel soon. What do I do?

Please take a look at the general procedures which must be followed in the U.S. or in Canada. We accept emergency passport applications by appointment. If an appointment is not available prior to your departure and you have an urgent need to travel, you may send an e-mail to to request an earlier appointment. Please understand that the loss or theft of a passport does not waive any requirements. Before you come to our office please get a police report of your loss or theft, and evidence of both your identity and U.S. citizenship from home, faxed or emailed to you. We have no access to that information.

On the date of your appointment, please bring the following: your appointment letter, the police report, evidence of your identity and U.S. citizenship, applications from the website (DS-11 and DS-64), notarized consent from parents of any applicant under 16, one passport photo, and money. Except for dire emergencies, it takes about 10 working days to obtain a first time or replacement U.S. passport in Toronto. The loss or theft of a passport, and your impending travel plans, do not waive the requirements of U.S. law. If you are without a valid passport, or if it takes you longer to assemble required documents, you should be prepared to alter your travel plans and incur additional costs.